- Metric practice problems under the math tab. Today we start looking at how to calculate volume.
- Work period for novel study questions. Today I will be reviewing how vocabulary and questions should be answered.
- One work period for the Health assignment due on Thursday. Students should be able to finish this at school. If not it will be homework. Details under the Health tab.
- Tuesday – Library
- Book Fair starts Tuesday
- Healthy schedule due Thursday
- Thursday – Music
- Family recipe due Thursday
- Friday – PD day
- Duntroon forms
- Novel study assigned reading – see language tab.
- Conferences are next week, are you signed up?
- Circuit package due Tuesday (Grade 6)
- Enjoy the snow!!!
- Do you have any stories that have been passed down from generation to generation? Ask your parents and grandparents and come ready to share on Friday.
- Duntroon Highland forms.
- Poinsettia orders in.
- Recipe in a jar forms.
- Legion form due.
- Saint Marie Field Trip tomorrow!! Bring a nice lunch and water. Dress for the weather as some activities are outside.
- We completed a new note in our math journal today on metric conversions. Please initial for Wednesday.
- Measurement quiz will come home today if students had their Mark’s Folders here. Please sign and return on Wednesday.
- Ms. Wickens is here for the next 4 weeks. She is our student teacher and we are so happy to have her here. She will be teaching some lessons as she practices being a teacher.
- Science on Wednesday and Friday this week.
- Music on Thursday.
- Forms for our cross country skiing and snowshoeing are coming home today.
- Book orders are available for students who are interested.
- Math mini quiz tomorrow on area and perimeter of squares, rectangles, triangles and odd shapes. Students know what odd shapes means.
- Tomorrow please wear red, black and white. We are presenting the poem, “Flanders Fields” at the assembly. I have poppy stickers for the students to wear.
- Students in ukulele club need to wear black pants and white shirt if possible. Be at school at 8:30 to practice.
- Procedural writing task due Friday – 4 periods given in class to do.
- Remembrance Day art due Friday – 3 to 4 periods given in class.
- Remembrance Day assembly on Friday. Wear red, black and white.
- Mini measurement quiz on Friday covering area, perimeter and temperature.
Parent conferences are coming up, please sign up online.
Math – we have been learning about temperature, area and perimeter. There will be a mini quiz at the end of this next week on these concepts. Notes on these are under the math tab and in student green math journals. Please continue to practice multiplication times tables at home. Having these memorized is very helpful to students in many areas of math.
Language – we have finished our novel studies and will be starting our next ones in a couple weeks. The next novels are:
Grade 5 – Bridge to Terabithia
Grade 6 – Freak the Mighty
We are currently working on writing procedures. Students will be choosing a topic this week and completing a rough and final draft procedure. After that we will do a focus on recipes as procedures. Watch for more details on that. It will result in a feast at school sharing our recipes.
Health – we have been learning all about making healthy choices when we eat and how to establish healthy habits. We also have had some discussions on how media influences our choices. We will have a final project coming up in this unit. Grade 5’s will be creating a paper advertisement and Grade 6’s will be writing a short broadcast about healthy habits that will be shared on our morning announcements.
Science – Social Studies is complete and we are moving unto Science. Grade 5’s are covering Energy with me and Grade 6’s are doing Electricity with Mrs. Garvan. We are working on sharing all the foundational information at this point and then will get into some projects.
Art – this week we will be focusing on Remembrance Day art. Spend sometime looking online to get ideas for graphics, poems or scenes to use for this art.
- Have a wonderful night trick or treating. Be safe!
- Picture retakes are tomorrow.
- Grade 5 Prime Minister project due Friday.
- Field Trip Forms
- Marks Folder signed and returned please. (If you haven’t seen a mark’s folder yet, that is a problem. Please ask your child about it. It is a black folder and contains at least 8 marks already earned this year).
- Please check marks folder if haven’t recently and sign.
- Saint Marie forms returned.
- Monday – pumpkin carving fun.
- Start measurement unit.
- Begin procedural writing mini unit.
- Halloween dance – Wednesday.
- Purple, black and orange day – Wednesday.
- Novel study movies – Wednesday.
- Junior division chess period – Friday.
- Grade 5 Prime Minister project due Friday.